THE STORY OF ARCHED FRAMELESS HANGARS

The prototype of frameless arched hangars dates back to 1949 when Sir Peter S. Pedersen introduced a brand new method of building self-supporting arched structures. This technology was revolutionary for that period, as the constructions could withstand heavy load with no internal support. Moreover, it required less financial and time resources, which was a huge advantage.

In 1950, the first company to create such construction emerged. Initially, “Wonder Building” would create arched frameless construction for the uses of US military. However, later in time, similar structures of the hangar type were widely introduced in agriculture as storehouses for grain, potatoes, and vegetables, as well as for organizing cattle yards. The company continued introducing new types of frameless construction, and by 1958, about 60% of the company’s sales accounted for the industrial and commercial markets.

1/7

In the 1970s, the industry continued its constant development, creating mobile units of production lines, which enabled to manufacture the structures right at the construction sites.

The technology achieved its peak during the Iraq war when the American military forces showed the world how in a short time it is possible to build warehouses, aircraft hangars, barracks, bunkers, shelters, and other military-technical facilities from scratch with a minimal number of materials and costs.

The industry continued to grow, acquiring more and more segments of economy and industry.